Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spring is in the Air

During this last trip/tour nature "unfolded" = spring is in the air. Although I always tell the tourists I guide through our beautiful country that there isn't a "marked" seasonal difference like spring (or autumn) because in most parts of our country it's either suddenly hot or cold, nature "exploding" is nonetheless proof that after all, its spring! So I'm going to share some of that today - other than a few photos snapped during the last tour.


This magnificent daisy seemed to challenge me to photograph it during a hike at Grootbos in the Gansbaai area.







Another example of spring being in the air is the Impala lily - photographed in a camp in the Kruger National Park.










Back home I "revert" to a role of "playing" paparazzi - always on the look-out for birds, as this photo of a hoopoe represents.





Similarly "hidden" but nonetheless detected by me, was this Little egret in the Hluhluwe Game Reserve.




I was fascinated to see many instead of only the more usual one or two terrapins on a riverbank in the Kruger Park - before I even noticed that not one but actually two crocodiles shared the same "space" = nature at its best!


Whilst the terrapins obviously didn't feel threatened by the presence of crocodiles, this photo represents an entirely different scenario - a large herd of impala just couldn't "make up their mind" if the hippo in the small pool of water represented a threat!?




Too cute! That was my reaction when I saw how this young giraffe "cuddled up" to its mother.










I think that similarly endearing is the way these two baboons seem to smooch.







Staying with the "theme" of primates, I'm always excited when I have the opportunity to spot the rather rare Samango monkey - so far only early in the morning or late afternoon at the Hilltop camp in the Hluhluwe Game Reserve.

No comments: