Friday, February 11, 2011

Historic Date

"Up, up & away" - I can't believe that officially, today's entry on this blog is the 200th!! It feels like yesterday when I "celebrated" the 100th entry :)


However of greater importance is that today is a historic date because 21 years ago, Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was finally released from a cruel prison sentence, lasting 27 years!! After his recent health-scare, I also want to "add my voice" in wishing him many more hours, days, months & yes, also years, to enjoy his hard-won freedom amongst his beloved family & friends.

Last year - after 20 years of freedom - this monument of who South Africans fondly call Madiba, was erected at the entrance of the Groot Drakenstein (formerly known as Victor Verster) prison in the Franschhoek area, from where his "walk to freedom" started on 11 February 1990.

So: I feel honoured that in a way, I'm now "sharing" this historic date with Madiba.

No comments: