Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bird Talk

Some people (hug or) talk to trees ..... whilst birds talk to me. You don't believe that? Well - check it out! I'll even translate/interpret what they say.


"Yes, howzit," said the Kori bustard (= 'employing' a typical/traditional South African greeting). Translation: 'How are you?' or 'How are things?' often accompanied by 'yes' for emphasis. [Reply: "Jawelnofine" = "Ja well, no fine" roughly meaning: Okay]






"Eish!" (from Zulu language expressing frustration, outrage or surprise) "Can't you leave me alone?" asked the Ground hornbill.

[Explanation: As you can deduce, not all birds "smaak" (= like) my pressence]



"Jislaaik!" (also an expression of outrage or surprise = obviously these 2 Wattled plovers also don't appreciate my pressence!?) "Tune us no grief." (= expressing aggravation because they feel harassed?).


"Lekker geklap, hey?" [I'm not sure if this Grey heron directed this at me or at an 'unseen other' because a translation of this can't possibly apply to me!?: 'geklap' = very drunk; 'lekker' = nice - used to express approval of anything or everything and not only the taste of food; 'hey' is used to emphasise what has been said but can also be used instead of 'excuse me?' or pardon me?' when you are uncertain about something directed at you].



"I smaak you stukkend." (in Afrikaans 'smaak' = 'taste', but used here to describe 'like'; 'stukkend' = broken) Therefore what the Redbilled woodhoopoe is telling me: "I love you to bits."


"Don't be a mampara." (from Sotho languages; 'mampara' = 'silly person' or 'idiot'). Again I'm questioning if this Burchell's coucal is actually directing this at me?






"Voetsek!" (very strong language for 'go away' or 'buzz off'). Again, who is this female Spotted dikkop talking to?






"Hey, you biscuit!" (in South Africa a 'cookie' is a 'biscuit' but is also used as a term of affection) - now: is the Blackcollared barbet saying that to me or the Speckled mousebird also featuring on the photo?







"Welcome to Mzansi!" This greeting (from an ostrich = to make visitors feel at home) you'll often hear if you visit our country ('Mzansi' = Xhosa word for South Africa) e.g. during the forthcoming Soccer World Cup [SEE: my blog-entry 4 Jan 2010] - now you are a little "prepared" with regard to some of the slang used in our country.

Oh yes, and there's one more word you'll hear with regard to the Soccer World Cup: Ayoba! (= fair play).

No comments: